Certified Medical Assistant- Elysburg: FLEX
Provides direct patient care and clinical support for physicians and other providers in the outpatient setting. Functions as an integral member of the health care team under the direction of the provider. Performs clinical duties such as preparing patients, collecting and reviewing pertinent information, performing technical duties, documenting using the electronic medical record, and supporting a safe environment for patients. Provides administrative and clerical support for the clinic/department including patient scheduling, filing reports, and following up on documentation, phone calls, and billing inquiries. Graduate of an accredited 1-year certificate or 2-year diploma Medical Assistant program required. Certified Medical Assistant (CMA) or Registered Medical Assist (RMA) required. Certified by one of the listed governing associations required: NHA, AMT, or AAMA.
- Obtains and documents, using the rooming tool in the electronic medical record, the patient’s reason for visit, weight, vital signs, visit screening information, medication review, and pertinent information for provider.
- Sets up examination and treatment rooms between cases.
- Assists patient as needed to prepare for visit with provider, takes appropriate measures to assure patient’s safety and privacy.
- Provides direct patient care as directed by provider based on competency and needs of clinic, such as performs EKGs, wound dressings, diabetic foot exam, and functions as support to the provider during minor surgical procedures and ancillary examinations.
- Administers medications according to policy and procedure after validation of knowledge and demonstration of competency. May not administer intravenous medications.
- Collects and prepares laboratory specimens and completes associated paperwork accurately and efficiently to expedite laboratory studies.
- Performs phlebotomy and may assist in specific laboratory functions relative to the testing, reporting, and quality assurance of laboratory specimens as educated and overseen by the laboratory.
- Performs receptionist and clerical duties to support patient care and functioning of the clinic, including matching and filing ancillary department reports, consultation and other medical reports in patients’ medical records.
- Documents in the appropriate sections to create a complete and accurate medical record.
- Uses the electronic medical record and scheduling system as designated.
- Facilitates timely appointments for patients. Completes referrals and pre-authorizations as needed.
- Collects co-payments.
- Under the direction of the provider and/or site lead, assists with orientation of new personnel.
- Executes and documents ongoing patient communication, as directed by provider, prioritizes communications to the provider, responds to patient questions and requests to ensure efficient use of provider time and timely response to patient needs.
- Reinforces patient education as directed by the provider to support patient’s understanding of instructions.
- May inventory medical/surgical supplies and pharmaceuticals non-controlled substances only to ensure adequate supply levels, verify expiration dates, document utilization, optimize organizational efficiency and space utilization.
- May have access to non-controlled medication storage/supply areas and can transport non-controlled medications as necessary to meet the needs of the clinic/unit.
- Prepares and cleans instruments.
- Follows protocols for sterilization and disinfection, including high level disinfection of instruments and equipment.
- Cleans/sets up examination rooms between patients using established infection prevention protocols.
- Follows hand hygiene and appropriate infection prevention precautions. Routinely inspects/observes condition and operation of diagnostic equipment and instrumentation to ensure proper operation and identifies need for preventive and/or corrective maintenance.
- Responsible for actively participating in patient safety and quality improvement program.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Travel may be required. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
EducationGraduate from Specialty Training Program- (Required)
ExperienceMinimum of 1 year-Related work experience (Preferred)
Certification(s) and License(s)Basic Life Support Certification within 6 months - Default Issuing Body; Certified Medical Assistant - American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA)
SkillsCommunication; Multitasking; Teamwork; Customer Service
Our Purpose & Values
Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality.
We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
Geisinger is committed to making better health easier for the more than 1 million people it serves. Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes nine hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,600 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Top 8 Most Innovative Healthcare Systems
– Becker's Hospital Review