Ambulatory Clinical Pharmacist
The ambulatory clinical pharmacist is responsible for assuring the provision of safe, efficacious, cost-effective, and high-quality medication therapy disease management to patients in the ambulatory setting. The pharmacist is embedded within a multidisciplinary clinical team, works under a collaborative practice agreement with the physician(s), and provides direct patient care, via either in-person or telephone interventions. The pharmacist will consult with the patient and physician(s) to identify, resolve and prevent medication related problems, as well as establish mutually agreed upon treatment goals. The pharmacist assesses each of the patient’s medications for indication, effectiveness, safety, tolerability, and adherence issues and provides care in a way that maximizes patient satisfaction. The pharmacist will titrate/manage/monitor the patient’s medication therapy to optimize clinical outcomes and will identify and address gaps in care.
- Assumes responsibility for the delivery of high-quality medication disease management services for the specific patient care area in which the pharmacist is assigned.
- Demonstrates proficiency in medication and disease management, as well as a thorough understanding of the medications, clinical conditions, and current treatment guidelines for the conditions in their assigned clinical areas.
- Gathers appropriate clinical, imaging, and laboratory data necessary to make appropriate decisions on the management of the patient’s medication therapy and related diseases and conditions.
- Assesses patient’s medication therapy regimen for appropriateness, effectiveness, tolerability, safety, and potential for adverse events.
- Make clinically appropriate changes to regimen which will maximize effectiveness and patient satisfaction, while working to minimize potential for both acute and chronic complications Provides in-services, in-depth drug information, and other educational and informational materials to members of the medical, nursing and other healthcare professionals.
- Provides patient with appropriate educational materials and information in order help them understand and actively participate in their care.
- Provides appropriate documentation of each encounter in the electronic health record and conveys that information to the referring physician and next provider of care as appropriate.
- Attends, participates, and upon request, presents at department educational programs.
- Teaches and trains pharmacy interns, pharmacy residents, students, pharmacy technicians and new pharmacists, regarding information in all appropriate areas of pharmacy practice, policies, and procedures.
- Assists the Ambulatory Clinical Pharmacy leadership team in implementation of new clinical programs and sites including building and organization of the new program, education and certification of all staff members Coordinates and supervises work-place activities and resources; promotes professional competence; assures that services rendered, and work performed are in accordance with departmental standards, state and federal regulations, and billed appropriately.
- Advises, assists, and supervises the work of clinic assistants and pharmacy interns; assumes final responsibility for accuracy of their work.
- Works with facility, medical and nursing staff, support staff, and clinic and region administration where necessary to resolve issues, incorporate clinic services seamlessly into site workflow, and to continually demonstrate the value of the ambulatory clinical pharmacy program.
- Assists with the review and revision of departmental policies and procedures, as requested.
- Applies departmental policies and procedures to complex situations and identifies areas for which policies and procedures need to be developed, improved, or revised.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
IV and Home Infusion experience preferred.
Schedule includes on call, weekend, and holiday rotation.
EducationBachelor's Degree-Pharmacy (Required)
ExperienceMinimum of 2 years-Related work experience (Required)
Certification(s) and License(s)Licensed Pharmacist (Pennsylvania) - State of Pennsylvania
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.