Clinical Dietitian - Inpatient Nutrition (Part-time, 20hrs/wk)
Provides safe, ethical, and competent evidence-based nutritional therapy that meets the standards of practice and the scope of practice as stated by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Manages the individual’s nutrition care in collaboration with the health care team and other nutrition professionals.
- Assesses individual needs through synthesis of information obtained through the assessment interview, food and nutrition and related histories, review of the medical record, and discussion with other members of the interdisciplinary health care team.
- Develops a plan to meet assessed needs including recommendations regarding: the composition of diet and meal patterns and supplements; and the volume, rate, and composition of parenteral and enteral feedings.
- Confers with the health care team to develop goals related to patient care.
- Plans and coordinates the use of special dietary regimens.
- Documents initial assessment plans for nutritional care and progress relative to same in the medical record in accordance with established standards.
- Evaluates nutritional status of individuals and makes recommendations regarding provision of optimal care.
- Counsels individuals, families, and care provider on normal nutrition and therapeutic diets with consideration given to the individual's educational, cultural, and socioeconomic background.
- Plans and conducts group classes for individuals in various areas of nutrition as appropriate.
- Writes nutrition related orders for hospitalized patients in accordance with the Clinical Nutrition policy.
- Consults, educates, and advocates on behalf of individuals, groups, and special populations regarding food, culinary, nutrition and health issues, food security and insecurity, nutrition programs, nutrition wellness and resources.
- Plans for continuing nutrition care for individuals, as needed, after discharge from the hospital using ancillary resources.
- Contributes to and designs referral process and systems to facilitate public access to Registered Dietitians.
- Receives referrals for services and make referrals to other relevant health care professional.
- Implements outcome-based quality assurance and performance improvement activities to document outcomes of service; compliance with regulations, policies, and procedures; and monitor and address customer satisfaction.
- Self-evaluates results and monitors for trends and changes in productivity related to workload.
- Compiles statistics and completes Clinical Productivity worksheets on a timely basis.
- Creates, evaluates, reviews, and revises patient instruction materials and recipe and food products for the patient menu.
- Actively participates on appropriate committees for the organization and represents the Clinical Nutrition department in decisions made by these committees.
- Participates in planning, implementation, and evaluating research studies conducted by members of the Clinical Nutrition Services or nutrition-related research coordinated by other departments, as available.
- Develop and use electronic information management tools for practice, research, and education.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
As a valued Dietitian at Geisinger, you can expect:
- Cutting-edge, top-of-scope practice – including independent order writing, protocol medication adjustments, and more
- Our medical team seeks and implements our recommendations for their patients
- Career growth through our Professional Development Program
- Growing Specialties: Pediatrics, Senior Care, Outpatient Diabetes Management, and Outpatient Nutrition
We take pride in the support we provide:
- 5% contribution to your retirement plan
- Generous paid time-off package
- Comprehensive suite of healthcare benefits, including medical, prescription drug, vision and dental coverage. Geisinger healthcare professionals receive a discount on all medical benefits.
EducationBachelor's Degree- (Required)
Certification(s) and License(s)Certified Dietitian/Nutritionist - Default Issuing Body
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.