Laboratory Medicine Supervisor, Microbiology GMC (Full Time) (Evenings)
$12,500 sign on incentive for qualified applicants! Leads and coordinates the daily operations of assigned section in conjunction with leadership. Plans, organizes and directs the activities of the section personnel to provide optimal, cost-effective delivery of services in accordance with departmental standards of quality, productivity, system-wide integration and standardization.
- Supervises technical and administrative operations of assigned laboratory section.
- Including maintaining a staff of qualified personnel to assure quality service is provided.
- Selects, instructs and develops employees through careful interviewing, comprehensive training, delegation, and supportive coaching.
- Conducts performance appraisals; ensures training and orientation of new hires, evaluates employee competency in an on-going manner.
- Participates with Lab Information Technology Team and doctoral directors to plan and oversee all laboratory information system functions in support of hospital and group practice work processes.
- Ensures staff is adequately trained in all computer applications required for their positions Ensures the provision of timely and efficient workflow in support of group practice quality and turnaround time standards of excellence.
- Delegates appropriate tasks daily to assure equitable workload and adequate coverage of all responsibilities.
- Prepares schedule to ensure adequate and appropriate staffing to meet service demands and maintain productivity standards.
- Prepares and monitors annual operating budget for section cost centers.
- Collaborates the planning of equipment purchases and leases with the Anatomic Pathology Operations Director.
- Supervises analysis of cost for materials and negotiation of contracts to obtain favorable prices.
- Oversees section purchasing, receiving, and inventory management to reduce costs.
- Assures section's compliance with applicable regulations and accrediting standards.
- Actively supports the Quality Program and takes a leadership role in facilitating change to realize noticeable error reduction and service improvement.
- Provides appropriate administrative and transcription support to Pathologists for research projects, Tissue Arrays and the annual laboratory program.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures.
The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
$12,500 sign on bonus for qualified applicants!
Join our microbiology team at Geisinger Medical Center in Danville, PA!
This role is expected to work 40 hours per week, 3:30PM to 12AM, with a weekend and holiday rotation as needed.
The successful candidate must have at least 6 years of experience in microbiology as a medical technologist and at least one year of leadership experience. Applicants should have the MLS (ASCP) or equivalent.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team of 45 Medical Technologists/Medical Laboratory Scientists, 22 Laboratory Assistants and 2 Microbiology Doctoral Directors providing full service microbial diagnostics 24 hours/7 days a week. Specialties include bacteriology, mycology, parasitology, mycobacteriology, virology, and molecular microbiology.
This position is at our main campus in our centralized Microbiology Laboratory that supports 9 hospitals, annually performing more than one million billable tests with opportunities to work up highly complex and unusual bacterial cases. We have a newly constructed, state-of-the-art, open-concept laboratory featuring two automated microbiology sample processors, well-designed bacteriology workstations and multi-platform molecular microbiology testing.
Benefits start on day 1 on employment and include comprehensive healthcare, 5% retirement contribution, fertility/adoption support (including IVF), and more!
Geisinger is a nationally recognized physician-led health care system serving more than 3 million residents of northeastern and central Pennsylvania. The main campus, Geisinger Medical Center is located in Danville, PA; a region marked by scenic beauty along the Susquehanna River, offering great recreational opportunities, charming small towns and college communities – with ready access to more urban amenities in areas like Hershey, Harrisburg and Scranton.
For more information, please contact Laura Eckenrode at LEckenrode@geisinger.edu.
EducationHigh School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required), Bachelor's Degree- (Required)
ExperienceMinimum of 6 years-Related work experience (Required), Minimum of 1 year-Managing people, processes, or projects (Required)
SkillsLaboratory Information Systems (LIS); Laboratory Services; Communication; Laboratory Equipment Operation; Laboratory Supply And Inventory Management
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.