Medical Technologist, GMC Microbiology (Full Time) (Days)
Performs and reports various analyses from multiple specimen sources. Performs duties to provide the highest level of patient care and maximize patient satisfaction. Meets the qualifications to provide care for patients in the specific age range on their assigned clinical area.
- Maintains an expected level of productivity.
- Manages multiple work processes efficiently.
- Completes tasks in a timely manner.
- Handles specimens properly.
- Confirms identification and specimen suitability.
- Uses appropriate accessioning procedures.
- Recognizes discrepancies on patient orders.
- Resolves and reports problems and solutions as appropriate.
- Performs and records instrument maintenance, troubleshooting, and quality control.
- Replenishes reagents and supplies according to established protocols.
- Follows established reporting procedures, computerized, verbal, and manual as appropriate.
- Navigates and accesses multiple computer applications as needed for job functionality.
- Assists in the training and orientation of new employees.
- Participates in educational activities to maintain current knowledge in the field.
- Successful completion of initial and subsequent competency exams required.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
This position is anticipated to work 36 hours per week.
Geisinger Medical Laboratories' Microbiology team is seeking a part-time Medical Technologist/Medical Laboratory scientist to join us in our new laboratory in Danville, PA!
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team of 45 Medical Technologists/Medical Laboratory Scientists, 22 Laboratory Assistants and 2 Microbiology Doctoral Directors providing full-service microbial diagnostics 24 hours/ 7 days a week. Specialties include bacteriology, mycology, parasitology, mycobacteriology, virology, and molecular microbiology.
This position is at our main campus in our centralized Microbiology Laboratory that supports 9 hospitals, annually performing more than one million billable tests with opportunities to work up highly complex and unusual bacterial cases. We have a newly constructed, state-of-the-art, open-concept laboratory featuring two automated microbiology sample processors, well-designed bacteriology workstations and multi-platform molecular microbiology testing.
Geisinger is a nationally recognized physician-led health care system serving more than 3 million residents of northeastern and central Pennsylvania. The main campus, Geisinger Medical Center is located in Danville, PA; a region marked by scenic beauty along the Susquehanna River, offering great recreational opportunities, charming small towns and college communities – with ready access to more urban amenities in areas like Hershey, Harrisburg and Scranton.
For more information, please contact Laura Eckenrode at LEckenrode@geisinger.edu.
Education Qualification and Details
Medical Technologist/Medical Laboratory Scientist:
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college/university AND successful completion of an ASCP/NAACLS-accredited Medical Technology program OR;
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college/university with a major in biological, chemical, physical or clinical laboratory science AND ASCP categorical certification OR;
- Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited college/university with a major in biological, chemical, physical, or clinical laboratory science AND at least two years' experience in a role equivalent to that of a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) in a clinical laboratory
- Knowledge of medical terminology and laboratory information systems preferred.
- Registry-eligible technologists are encouraged to apply.
Medical Lab Technician:
- Associate degree in a laboratory science with certification (or eligible new graduate) from an accredited institution as a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT)
- Military experience will be considered. US Army 68K Medical Laboratory Specialist, US Navy Medical Laboratory Technician, US Air Force Medical Laboratory Apprentice.
This position offers a competitive salary and compensation package including medical, dental, vision, 401(K) match, tuition reimbursement, and generous PTO. Benefits start on day 1! Learn more about our benefits suite by clicking here: https://www.myalex.com/geisinger/2023#intro
EducationBachelor's Degree- (Required), Bachelor's Degree-Medical Technology (Preferred)
SkillsOrganizing; Laboratory Equipment Operation; Laboratory Results Reporting; Communication; Preceptor Skills; Time Management; Laboratory Services
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.