Molecular Microbiology System Director PhD
Laboratory Medicine at Geisinger is seeking an experienced doctoral-level clinical and molecular microbiologist with state-of-the-science skills to join a combined diagnostic and clinical research team focused on documenting the value of actionable hospital-based microbiology services.
AT A GLANCE:
- The System Director oversees Molecular Microbiology within the Microbial Diagnostics Laboratory and collaborates with two other directors in Clinical Microbiology
- Responsibilities include clinical, operational, quality, regulatory, and financial success for 9 hospital laboratories throughout PA
- Partners with the Microbial Diagnostics and Innovation Center, a successful national clinical research model for adult and pediatric infectious disease diagnostics, clinical decision support, population health, precision medicine, and value-based care
- Interactive and effective communication skills, leadership, experience with competing priorities, strategic thinking, and an understanding of group performance dynamics are critical to the position
- Participation in daily clinical interaction with healthcare providers and staff is expected, as is support and development of the system’s evidence-based healthcare initiatives
- Academic appointment in the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine is optional; current teaching programs in clinical microbiology include medical and graduate students, residents, fellows, clinical laboratory scientists, and allied health professionals
- Experience in molecular methods, including molecular assay design and metagenomics
- Experience in test development, laboratory informatics, bioinformatics, and analytics
- Understanding of proteomic and phenotypic microbiological methods
- Understanding of clinical and business strategies for molecular microbiology
- Experience performing clinical trials and investigator-initiated clinical research
- An MBA, MHA, MPH, or population health degree is desirable
- Qualification or eligibility as a Laboratory Director under CAP and CLIA is required with experience in a CAP-accredited or equivalent clinical environment
- Educational requirements include 1) a PhD in a biological, chemical, or molecular science with ABMM board certification or eligibility, or 2) an MD/DO with board certification or eligibility in clinical pathology and microbiology
EducationDoctoral Degree- (Required)
SkillsSystems-Based Practice; Patient Care And Procedural Skills; Professional Etiquette
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.
Best employer for healthy lifestyles – National Business Group
Access to 121 state parks