Evaluates, measures, casts, designs, and fits custom-made lower extremity, upper extremity, and spinal orthoses. Measures, fits, and adjusts prefabricated orthoses.
- Assesses the patient’s condition and determines the needed treatment.
- Elicits the patient’s interpretation of his current situation and his and her expected outcome for the orthosis.
- Communicates with the prescribing physician to clarify the expectations for the orthosis and detail the design options available to achieve the desired outcome.
- Formulates a comprehensive treatment plan based on input from the prescribing physician, patient and family, therapist, and other rehabilitation team members.
- Discusses this plan with all involved.
- Selects the appropriate prefabricated orthosis or design a custom orthosis to provide the prescribed outcome to alleviate patient’s limitations and enhance patient’s functioning.
- Measures and casts patient.
- Corrects and modifies positive molds and provide complete design specifications for the orthosis to the central fabrication lab.
- Fits patient with completed orthosis.
- Adjusts this orthosis as necessary to achieve optimal function.
- Provides instruction to the patient and family on proper use and care of the orthosis.
- Provides appropriate follow-up care after fitting to ensure successful treatment outcomes.
- Document all patient contacts according to established departmental and hospital procedure.
- Troubleshoots, repairs, and adjusts orthoses as required.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
- Join a team with a long tradition of providing a wide variety of orthotic services
- Required to be hold certification as an Orthotists through ABC or BOC, eligible for PA license.
- This position includes Saturday on-call rotation.
- Travel between clinic sites within the region is required
EducationBachelor's Degree- (Required)
Certification(s) and License(s)Certified Orthotist - American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics and Pedorthics, Inc. (ABCOP)
SkillsOrganizational Skills; Computer Skills; Team Player; Communication Skills; Rehab Assessment And Care
Our Purpose & Values
Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality.
We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
Geisinger is committed to making better health easier for the more than 1 million people it serves. Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes nine hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,600 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.