Patient Access Representative
Responsible for front line support to the department. Coordinates and performs front line office activities in an effective and efficient manner for the department. Greets and registers incoming patients, supports the patient check out process and schedules future appointments as applicable.
- Responsible for checking patients in for appointments and accurately verifying demographics.
- Assures all check-in procedures are completed and monitors patient wait times, communicating changes to the patient as necessary.
- Reads and interprets insurance responses.
- Understands general guidelines and insurance rank requirement to properly assign primary, secondary, and tertiary insurance per encounter.
- Ensures patient receives necessary disclosure and privacy information, obtains necessary legal and financial signatures.
- Communicates financial obligations to patients and collects fees at time of service as appropriate.
- Communicates the purpose of and completes all necessary regulatory forms with patient.
- Completes patient's visit by scheduling any necessary follow up appointments to include any specialty or ancillary services as possible.
- Processes multi-channel messages related to patient and/or physician requests regarding: appointments, referrals, prescriptions, and complaints.
- Notifies patient or guarantor of anticipated financial responsibility including copays, deductibles, or coinsurances and collects accordingly.
- Performs cash posting following department guidelines.
- Abides by organizational and HIPAA guidelines, privacy practices, patient confidentiality and patient rights.
- Must maintain high regard for confidentiality.
- Accurately performs medical record maintenance and releases.
- Assists with referrals and pre-certifications, at the time of encounter.
- Properly utilizes and maintains patient recall and reschedule lists.
Work is typically performed in an office environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
EducationHigh School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required)
ExperienceMinimum of 1 year-Related work experience (Preferred)
SkillsCustomer Service; Communication; Clerical I; Office Politics And Confidentiality
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.
Best employer for healthy lifestyles – National Business Group
Access to 121 state parks