Staff Scientist Bioinformatics
Responsible for conducting and supervising research in computational biology, bioinformatics, quantitative genomics or a related field under the supervision of a Research Faculty member. Assumes responsibility for a specific topic within the research program and supervises the postdoctoral fellows and support staff in the conduct of that research.
- Develops and manages a specific bioinformatics, computational biology or quantitative genomics project within the research program under the supervising faculty member.
- May prepare and submit funding applications within the content areas of the supervisor with permission of the supervisor.
- May manage a small research group; conducting reviews and evaluating work.
- Leads discussions regarding experimental design, data analysis and interpretation of results.
- May represent the supervising faculty member in leading the research group as needed.
- Responsible for gathering preliminary data for grant applications, completion of objectives of funded external grants, and preparation of completed work for publication.
- Contributes to writing grant applications or manuscripts.
- May serve on research committees.
- Collaborates and leads genomics and bioinformatics analysis for clinical faculty and other investigators.
- Performs literature searches to gather information pertaining to research projects or analytical methods in order to develop new protocols, research projects or grant applications for the work group.
- Advises other research employees regarding technical and analytical problems within area of expertise.
- Participates in work group meetings and formal seminars to present, explain, and discuss research interests.
- Makes presentations to extramural audiences at national meetings and academic institutions.
Work is typically performed in an office environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
EducationDoctoral Degree- (Required), Doctoral Degree-Computational Biology (Preferred)
ExperienceMinimum of 3 years-Related work experience (Required)
Our Purpose & Values
Everything we do is about caring for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and domestic partners.* Perhaps just as important, from senior management on down, we encourage an atmosphere of collaboration, cooperation and collegiality.
We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer Women and Minorities are Encouraged to Apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status.
Geisinger is committed to making better health easier for the more than 1 million people it serves. Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes nine hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,600 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.