Functions as a pharmacist at the Retail Site Pharmacy and provides efficient, accurate, and safe medication services to patient/customers by filling physicians prescriptions after evaluating individual medical needs, consulting appropriate references, and counseling physicians and other health professionals, if needed. Assumes overall responsibility for the pharmacy by delegating authority to pharmacy technicians and other non-clinical staff.
- Assumes responsibility for the delivery of pharmaceutical care to patients by interpreting prescriptions, making necessary professional determinations regarding medications and various drug interactions, drug utilization review, generic substitution, and accurately filling and dispensing the prescription.
- Process prescriptions by receiving the prescription via telephone from the physician or in person from the patient, reviewing it against the medication profile for possible sensitivities and drug interactions, and checking it for contraindications and duplications.
- Enters patient medical, demographic, and insurance information to ensure a complete, updated medication profile and adequate payment for services.
- Provides necessary counseling to physicians and patients and customers to ensure accurate delivery of medication and patient compliance in the administration of the medication.
- Identifies and resolves routine prescribing, formulary, and therapeutic issues and suggests appropriate formulary substitutions to the prescribing physicians.
- Coordinates and supervises all activities at the CareSite Pharmacy including, but not limited to, professional competence, services rendered, and work performed in accordance with regulatory standards.
- Supervises, advises, and assists pharmacy technicians and assumes final responsibility for the accuracy of their work.
- Confers with physicians and clinical personnel on matters relating to drug therapy, drug information, formulary status of a particular agent, and active and inactive medications ingredients.
- Prepares special medications involving compounding, IV admixtures, chemotherapeutic medications, and other sterile products utilizing aseptic technique, when necessary.
- Suggests improvements and changes to perpetually improve the operations at the CareSite Pharmacy.
- Assists the manager in ordering medications and supplies to maintain appropriate inventory levels for pharmacy operation.
- Assumes responsibility of pharmacy operations as assigned by the manager.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
EducationBachelor's Degree- (Required)
ExperienceMinimum of 2 years-Related work experience (Required)
Certification(s) and License(s)Licensed Pharmacist (Pennsylvania) - State of Pennsylvania
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.