Diabetes Educator Specialist - Inpatient Clinical Nutrition
Diabetes Educator Specialist serves in an advanced role providing in-depth analysis of the patient with diabetes and providing specialized care and in-depth education for persons with diabetes and their families. Serves as a team member in assessing needs, planning and providing education and care, evaluating outcomes and coordinating follow up care for persons with diabetes.
- Provides diabetes education self-management training and care.
- Evaluates the individual being seen for in-depth knowledge of diabetes, diabetes self-management skills, support and barriers to care.
- Provides in-depth direct care to individuals with diabetes and their families in collaboration with the healthcare provider.
- Provides guidelines related to medication and nutritional adjustment.
- Performs comprehensive foot exam, teaches advanced level of treatment of hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia.
- Teaches use of blood glucose meter, insulin preparation, injection skills and techniques.
- Develops in-depth diabetes management plans incorporating the patient's diabetes assessment, concerns and needs.
- Assesses patient's appropriateness for intensive insulin therapy.
- Reviews specific indicators measured and results, recommends medication changes for the metabolic control of persons with diabetes on an outpatient basis and provides phone contact for medication adjustments and problem-solving under the supervision of the physician and in accordance with policy and procedures for medications adjustment.
- Assists physician with research involving education and care of patients.
- Helps evaluate process of developing, monitoring and evaluating the use of protocols and guidelines, practice tools and leads team on changes and revision as needed.
- Participates and assists at assigned sites in diabetes care under Endocrinology and helps in the design of diabetes education programs at clinic sites.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
*Will consider Diabetes Educator Associate with experiences and credentials. Must pass CDCES or in route to CDCES. Salary commensurate with experiences and credentials.
*Geisinger offers comprehensive suite of healthcare benefits all starting day one of employment! This includes medical, prescription drug, vision and dental coverage. We also offer up to $5,000 tuition reimbursement and 5% contribution to your retirement plan.
EducationGraduate from Specialty Training Program- (Required)
ExperienceMinimum of 2 years-Clinical (Required)
Certification(s) and License(s)Certified Diabetes Educator - Default Issuing Body
SkillsInterpersonal Communication; Communication
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.