Laboratory Assistant, GCMC (Full Time) (Days)
Assesses, accessions, and processes patient specimens in preparation for testing in the various sections of Laboratory Medicine.
- Safely handles potentially infectious blood, body fluids, and other patient specimens in compliance with regulatory standards.
- Assesses suitability and acceptability of patient specimens.
- Rejects unacceptable specimens according to established protocols.
- Matches order information with specimen information to ensure accuracy and patient safety.
- Accessions and results according to procedure via appropriate computer application.
- Correctly assigns billing numbers, location codes, and physician numbers.
- Verifies physician orders when test requests are unclear.
- Prepares specimens as appropriate including centrifugation, aliquoting, labeling.
- Delivers prepared specimens to appropriate testing area in a timely manner.
- Applies laboratory internet programs to store specimens and to locate, retrieve, and process specimens for additional testing as requested.
- Maintains computer logs, quality control, disinfection procedures, and departmental assigned duties.
- Manages phone inquiries and provides information regarding specimen collection, transport, and patient results as appropriate.
- Navigates and accesses multiple computer applications as needed.
- Assists with packaging ordering and referral of specimens to reference laboratories in compliance with U.S. Department of Transportation and commercial carrier regulations as required.
- Troubleshoots missing specimens and other preanalytical errors including courier log review, specimen archives.
- Maintains equipment, participates in established preventative maintenance program, and alerts supervisor of any equipment problems.
- Assists in proper handling, storage, and maintenance of supplies, notifies supervisor when inventory is low.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
Benefits start on day one of employment and include comprehensive health coverage, generous PTO, 5% retirement contribution, and more! Geisinger supports your continued education and certification. Tuition reimbursement is available for all full-time employees for job-related undergraduate, graduate, and certificate programs.
Laboratory Assistants are critical to the success of our laboratories. Geisinger offers a career pathway from the laboratory assistant position to a medical technologist role! Our laboratory assistants who have a life sciences BS degree can work while taking subsidized courses through our partnership with the online Medical Laboratory Science program at the University of North Dakota (UND). Upon completion of this program and passing board examinations, you'll become a medical technologist with Geisinger. Geisinger offers tuition assistance and departmental mentorship to help make this growth possible!
EducationHigh School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required), Bachelor's Degree- (Preferred)
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.