Medication History Technician
Under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist, the medication history technician will obtain and update the patient’s medication history information in the electronic health record (EHR). This is accomplished by interviewing the patient and/or caregiver, along with obtaining information from other trusted sources such as pharmacies, physician offices, etc.
- Works in close collaboration with the pharmacist, to ensure that the medication history is accurately documented.
- Obtains and documents a patient’s medication history.
- Actively includes the patient and family or caregiver as appropriate to identify the most accurate information.
- Documents the medication history accurately and completely in the EHR.
- Contacts the patient’s outside pharmacy, referring facility, or physician(s) to resolve all discrepancies in the medication history in a timely fashion.
- Documents the resolution of discrepancies in the medical record so that the appropriate providers and pharmacists can review and reconcile the list.
- Obtains the patient’s medication history as the priority, working in conjunction with the patients, patient’s family members, retail pharmacies, co-workers, physicians, and the nursing unit, etc.
- in order to complete the medication histories in a timely fashion without negatively impacting patient care.
- Identifies potential clinical issues including but not limited to medication duplications, medications that are no longer being taken by the patient, and dosage inaccuracies and appropriately refers patients for pharmacist review.
- Corrects documentation information in the EHR to reflect an accurate accounting of the current medications that the patient is taking.
- Identifies information on when medications were last taken by and administered to the patient and documents that information in the EHR.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
EducationHigh School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required)
SkillsComputer Literacy; Teamwork
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.
Best employer for healthy lifestyles – National Business Group
Access to 121 state parks