Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist
At Geisinger, our people contribute to fostering an inspiring and supportive team where you can begin or continue your career. As a CRNA, you’ll be empowered to pursue your expertise across our various specialty teams such as cardiac, neonatal, and OB in our community hospitals or surgical centers. A CRNA role with Geisinger provides you with the unique opportunity to select the region that’s best suited to your clinical skillset, so you can thrive – professionally and personally. At the end of the day, your reward is knowing you’ve made a positive difference in the lives of our patients, our members, and our communities.
What makes a successful CRNA with Geisinger? See if you have what it takes.
- Team Player
- Life-Long Learner
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, our mission has always been at the core of everything we do: to be the best hospital for care. This has led us to deliver the highest standard of world-class care to our patients. Here, you’ll work alongside the brightest minds in the industry and continually feel inspired by your collaborative teammates. As a nationally recognized healthcare system, we offer the unique teaching and mentorship experiences you need to grow a rewarding career path. Plus, with the opportunity to select from one of our three regions to live and work in, you’ll feel confident knowing you’ve come to the designated clinical site that’s best suited to your expertise.
Discover one of our three regions, each with their own unique feel and charm.
With the opportunity to select from one of our three regions to live and work in, you’ll feel confident knowing you’ve come to the designated clinical site that’s best suited to your expertise.
Geisinger Western Region
In Geisinger’s western region, you’ll experience the small-town agricultural feel of Lewistown, PA and the entertainment value of Penn State University in State College PA.
Get to know our facilities in the western region:
- Geisinger Lewistown Hospital
- Geisinger Grays Woods, State College PA
- Endoscopy Lewistown
Geisinger Central Region
Geisinger’s central region covers the beautiful mountainside and lush valley communities in central eastern Pennsylvania. Here, you’ll enjoy a scenic region and find unique opportunities to take your career to the next level.
Check out the hospitals and surgery centers in the central region:
- Geisinger Medical Center
- Geisinger Bloomsburg Hospital
- Geisinger Shamokin Area Community Hospital
- Geisinger Outpatient Surgery Center Woodbine
- Geisinger Medical Center Muncy
- The Orthopaedic Center Pennsylvania
Geisinger Northeast Region
Geisinger’s northeast region is nestled in the small, picturesque cities of Wilkes-Barre and Scranton, which offer several benefits for a high-quality lifestyle and rewarding career growth.
Discover the various facilities the northeast region has to offer:
- Geisinger Community Medical Center
- Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical Center
- Geisinger South Wilkes- Barre
- New Ambulatory Surgery Center, Geisinger Centerpoint Healthplex
Our Geisinger Family
What makes Geisinger unique is that it is a healthcare system providing innovative care to patients of all ages. It is amazing to have the ability to deliver high quality care for neonates and centenarians in the same facility. I was most surprised by the number of different services/specialties that are provided. I enjoy being able to care for a variety of different cases and patient populationsMSN, CRNA
Health and Wellness Programs
Maternity and Paternity Leave
Awards and Recognition
Provides anesthesia care in the operating room in support of surgical, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures under the general supervision of an anesthesiologist. Provides preoperative evaluation and postoperative follow-up. Functions as a patient advocate and confidant, advisor and liaison between patients, families, and physicians.
- Anesthetizes patients.
- Selects drugs for anesthesia and emergency treatment.
- Induces and maintains anesthesia.
- Monitors the patient and adjusts medications as needed.
- Treats variants of the anesthesia.
- Communicates patient's status with the surgeon, anesthetist and Charge CRNA.
- Assesses patient status, interprets hemodynamic waveforms and equipment status.
- Takes corrective measures to keep patient in stable pre, peri and post anesthesia.
- Conducts thorough preop evaluation of patient including chart review.
- Instills confidence in patient.
- Organizes OR room with equipment monitors and drugs needed for the procedure.
- Performs diagnostic equipment checks.
- Coordinates with ancillary, nursing and physician staff to ensure a safe environment for patient including positioning, equipment troubleshooting and review of surgical procedure.
- Responds to codes and maintains the airway.
- Provides anesthesia support to assigned areas.
- Charts accurately, completely and efficiently into patient EMR.
- Transports patient safely, continues to monitor airway and gives sign-out report to receiving team.
- Serves as an anesthesia expert, mentor, and preceptor to peers, staff, residents, students, nurses and ancillary staff.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
EducationMaster's Degree-Nursing (Required)
Certification(s) and License(s)Basic Life Support Certification - Default Issuing Body; Licensed Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist - Default Issuing Body; Licensed Registered Nurse (Pennsylvania) - RN_State of Pennsylvania
SkillsClinical Policies And Standards; Patients Rights; Health Information Documentation; Patient Safety; Care Management Knowledge; Patient Assessment And Care
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.