Plans, coordinates and conducts a therapeutic recreational activities. Provides ongoing assessments of the patients' functional level and conducts activities to provide the highest level of patient care and maximize patient functioning and satisfaction. Provide year round activities and services for individuals affected by behavioral issues including but not limited to, alcoholism/chemical dependency.
- Coordinates the planning, implementing and directing activities year round with a focus on developing trust, community unity, support, and development of sober leisure skills through appropriate experiential activities.
- Develops, reviews, and updates recreational policies and procedures to ensure compliance with state and Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organization laws and standards.
- Completes charting requirements, reviewing recreational assessments on patients during treatment, and updating activities schedule and may be responsible for fitness centers etc.
- Develops and incorporates activity services into patient treatment plans with primary counselors.
- Orders and maintains inventory of all recreation equipment and supplies.
- Inspects equipment regularly to ensure safety.
- Performs basic maintenance of recreation areas and equipment.
- Conducts wellness lectures on recreation and recovery topics, and staff in-service programs.
- Potentially supervises recreation therapy student interns.
- Consults with medical and other relevant staff to determine patients' physical restrictions.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
EducationBachelor's Degree- (Required)
Certification(s) and License(s)First Aid Certification - American Heart Association (AHA); Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation Certification - American Heart Association (AHA)
SkillsTherapeutic Care; Communication; Teamwork; Patients Rights; Patient Safety
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.
Best employer for healthy lifestyles – National Business Group
Access to 121 state parks