Acute Care Clinical Pharmacist- Emergency Department
The Pharmacist provides quality pharmaceutical care defined as being responsible for assuring the provision of safe, efficacious and cost-effective medication therapy for all patients. The Pharmacist will develop, recommend, and monitor evidence based pharmacotherapy care plans for patients cared for by Geisinger with emphasis on patient outcomes and quality of life. These care plans include the assessment of patient’s medications for indication, effectiveness, safety, and adherence issues as well as patient and laboratory parameter monitoring, documentation requirements, and outcomes.
- Assumes responsibility for the delivery of pharmaceutical care to the specific patient care area in which the pharmacist is scheduled to work.
- Coordinates the use of human, material, and informational resources such that timely, efficient, cost effective and appropriate care is consistently rendered.
- Receives and interprets physicians' medication orders and clarifies or corrects orders with the physician.
- Reviews patient medication profiles to guard against drug sensitivities, contraindications, duplications, and major drug interactions.
- Reviews all medication orders for prescribing, formulary, and therapeutic issues.
- Suggests appropriate formulary alternative(s) based on the patient's clinical parameters.
- Consults and advises members of the medical staff on matters relating to specific drug therapy problems and monitors and acts on patient laboratory results.
- Provides in-depth drug information and other informational materials to members of the medical, nursing, and other healthcare professionals.
- Provides patient discharge medication consultations based on department standards.
- Makes rounds with medical services.
- Calculates drug dosages based on pharmacokinetic parameters.
- Verifies provider-entered orders and ensures proper doses dispensed.
- Provides in services to other healthcare providers when requested and when necessary.
- Prepares special medications involving compounding procedures and sterile products using aseptic techniques.
- Reports requirements for additional supplies and equipment to appropriate personnel to maintain basic stock levels.
- Coordinates and supervises work-place activities and resources; promotes professional competence; assures that services rendered, and work performed are in accordance with departmental standards.
- Advises, assists, and supervises the work of pharmacy technicians, students, and pharmacy interns; assumes final responsibility for accuracy of their work.
- Works with medical and nursing personnel to resolve problems involving pharmacy services.
- Coordinates activities with other pharmacy personnel to accomplish pharmacy and hospital objectives.
- Assists with the review and revision of departmental policies and procedures, as requested.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
This is an excellent opportunity to join our acute care pharmacy team and practice at the top of license! The position schedule will be 7 on and 7 off and will be based in the Emergency Department.
EducationBachelor's Degree-Pharmacy (Required), Master's Degree- (Preferred)
Certification(s) and License(s)Licensed Pharmacist (Pennsylvania) - State of Pennsylvania
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.
Best employer for healthy lifestyles – National Business Group
Access to 121 state parks