Director Specialty Pharmacy Services
This is an exciting leadership opportunity in our Specialty Pharmacy with a primary focus on delivering excellence and innovation to patient care! Utilize your strong business and clinical skills to achieve distinction in your career with this system-wide leadership role! Comprehensive and strategic oversight of all pharmacy services for assigned areas of responsibility. Supervises, mentors, facilitates, plans, and administers all aspects of pharmacy practice within areas of responsibility. Actively collaborates in the development, implementation, and growth of pharmacy practice and pharmacy related services at Geisinger. Facilitates and ensures the coordination of patient care through the continuum.
- Assumes the responsibility for comprehensive oversight and accountability for pharmacy practice, medication use process, and transitions of care for Geisinger patients served within their responsible areas.
- Empowers, motivates, and provides mentorship for other pharmacy leaders and staff.
- Provides guidance to ensure optimized, effective, and patient-centric care is provided across the spectrum of pharmacy services.
- Acts as a role model to staff for engagement and team dynamics.
- Evaluates the department's current pharmacy practice, oversees and plans for the development of new programs, and makes recommendations to leadership based on need and opportunity.
- Provides continuous leadership support of the pharmacy practice model to develop and embed the pharmacist provider and pharmacy technician as an integral part of the health care team.
- Provides oversight, guidance, and participates when needed with respective leadership team in performance management and development activities for staff.
- Oversees staff recruitment and hiring processes.
- Accountable for ensuring the maintenance of standards, clinical activities, operational activities, and performance measurement tools in the areas of clinical efficiency, operational efficiency, quality and patient satisfaction.
- Identifies and analyzes changes in medication utilization and costs including factors driving change trends.
- Works collaboratively with physicians, other healthcare professionals and administrative partners to develop processes or programs which address identified issues with medication management and utilization.
- Provides oversight and contributes to the development of evidence-based, cost containment and cost saving protocols and medication therapies.
- Assumes overall responsibility for the financial performance of all assigned areas.
- Develops, implements, and achieves budgets and provides input into business plans and financial proformas.
- Utilizes metrics and quality data to monitor revenue/expense, staff productivity, and clinical outcomes, which is reported to Enterprise Pharmacy and System leadership upon request.
- Provides oversight and accountability with the leadership team for establishing, monitoring, communicating to staff, and continuously improving system performance parameters for pharmacy services.
- Ensures compliance of assigned areas and services with accreditation, regulatory and corporate compliance standards in collaboration with the System Director, Operations, and Compliance as well as with the rest of the leadership team which includes the development, revision, and auditing of the departments policies, clinical and operational procedures.
- Ensures accountability in collaboration with pharmacy leadership team for updated and appropriate collaborative practice agreements are in place at all assigned practice areas.
- In reference to Specialty Pharmacy: Provides guidance and is responsible for oversight of the clinical aspects of the Caresite Specialty Patient Management Program.
- Leads and develops the Performance Improvement Program in collaboration with Human Resources.
- Directs corporate compliance activities, including plan development and implementation for Caresite Specialty Rx.
- Ensures compliance with local and federal regulations and corporate policies and procedures.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
EducationBachelor's Degree-Pharmacy (Required), Doctoral Degree-Pharmacy (Preferred)
ExperienceMinimum of 5 years-Managing people, processes, or projects (Required), Minimum of 7 years-Related work experience (Required)
Certification(s) and License(s)Licensed Pharmacist (Pennsylvania) - State of Pennsylvania
SkillsMentoring Skills; Office Administration
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.
Best employer for healthy lifestyles – National Business Group
Access to 121 state parks