Patient Care Technician II - Full Time Day/Evenings - Geisinger South Wilkes Barre
Geisinger is proud to offer a Patient Care Technician II a $1500 sign on bonus for eligible candidates, $15.25 minimum hiring rate with increased rates for experienced individuals and up to $3 shift differentials for evening, nights, and weekend shifts! Also offering up to $40,000 in financial support to become a nurse!
- Provides patient care as directed, within the nursing assistant scope of practice, in meeting the multidisciplinary care plan established for each patient. This includes phlebotomy, dressing care at direction of RN, milk lab, and EKG's.
- Performs venipunctures and skin punctures to obtain blood specimens according to Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute guidelines.
- May performs daily, hands-on aspects of the storage, preparation and delivery of breast milk, infant and pediatric formulas.
- Identifies, observes, and documents the physical needs of the patient according to established standards. Reports ant changes in patient condition to licensed personnel in a timely manner.
- Obtains and maintains the integrity of specimens in accordance with policy and procedure, according to physician order.
- Provides for or assists patients with activities of daily living and fulfills designated and delegated responsibilities for ongoing continuum of care. Includes patient hygiene and changing linens.
- Provides one to one patient safety watch as assigned following established policies and procedures.
- Accurately processes specimens and provides timely transport of the specimen to the laboratory.
- Performs point of care patient testing and point of care instrument maintenance and quality control.
- Assists in problem solving, trouble shooting and taking corrective measures in care and maintenance of equipment and supplies.
- Serves as a preceptor and mentor for new staff and students in a positive manner.
- Performs clerical duties for admissions, transfers, discharges, and deaths according to standards and facilitates patient throughput activities. Transcribes and processes orders according to unit standard.
- Releases and confirms ordered tests to appropriate departments.
- Coordinate's transportation of patients to multiple tests.
- Participates in obtaining and communicating electronic information as pertinent to the nursing unit. Schedules tests, faxes consult, etc.
- Assists in ordering supplies. Stationery items as well as floor stock, patient needs, individual nursing supplies.
- Communicates with food services to ensure appropriate patient diets.
- Operates, problem solves, and takes corrective measures for clerical equipment. To include scheduling maintenance of computers, fax machines, phones, etc.
- Staff have access to non-controlled medications storage and supply areas and can transport non-controlled medications as necessary to meet the needs of the clinic or unit.
- Assists with transporting non-controlled medications to and from Pharmacy and within the unit as needed.
- Assists with transporting blood products to and from Blood Bank as needed.
- Discharge follow up phone calls / coordinating virtual discharge appointment team.
- Remove Foley Catheter and peripheral IV at direction of registered nurse.
- Support / Assist staff with 5 min Drills and/or Quality Rounds - participate in regulatory readiness as needed.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
Benefits of working at Geisinger:
- Comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance that starts day one of employment
- Grow your career with up to $5000 in tuition reimbursement per year
- Three medical plan choices, including options to save with a flexible spending account (FSA) and health savings account (HSA)
- Company paid Life Insurance, Short-term disability, and Long-term disability
- Competitive 401(k) plan that includes automatic Geisinger contributions starting day one of employment
- PTO plan that allows you to earn more time fast
- MyHealth Rewards wellness program to improve your health and earn incentives
- Family-friendly support to include adoption assistance, paid parental leave, paid military leave and a free care.com membership with discounted backup care for your loved ones.
- Shared governance structure that empowers our nursing support staff
- On the job training and education
- Professional opportunities for growth and advancement
- Support and mentorship from a full range of dedicated nursing leaders
- Community involvement through our Employee Resource Groups
- Employee referral incentive program
Join the Geisinger Family! Apply now! To learn more about Geisinger opportunities, please contact Nikki Kaleta at firstname.lastname@example.org
Full Time, Day/Evenings 9am-9:30pm
Phlebotomy experience preferred
Every other weekend and holiday rotation required
Position is responsible to float between the Emergency Department and Medical Surgical Units at Geisinger South Wilkes Barre
EducationHigh School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required), Graduate from Specialty Training Program- (Preferred)
ExperienceMinimum of 1 year-Related work experience (Required)
SkillsClinical Skills; Patient Safety; Teamwork
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.
Best employer for healthy lifestyles – National Business Group
Access to 121 state parks