Specialty Clinical Pharmacist
Responsible for the management of patients being prescribed specialty medications by communicating with and supporting these patients and as well as developing and coordinating patient care within the clinical care team. This individual will coordinate the activities and lead resolution of issues between Pharmacy, provider and patient to ensure that all aspects of the patient care are clearly understood.
- Support the overall CareSite Specialty Rx goals and objectives that result in improved quality of patient care and higher levels of patient satisfaction.
- Assumes responsibility for the delivery of pharmaceutical care to patients by interpreting prescriptions, making necessary professional determinations regarding medications and various drug interactions, drug utilization review, generic substitution, and accurately filling and dispensing the prescription.
- Provides drug and clinical information to other healthcare professionals in response to specific questions relating to issues pertinent to the care of patients.
- Utilizing knowledge of medical practice, healthcare insurance procedures and pharmacy regulations, assists in clinical practice by helping patients gain better insight into their health conditions and how to comply with physicians’ instructions and advice and function as a conduit between the healthcare insurance company, physician’s office and the pharmacy.
- Assists with the Prior Authorization and approval process and the statement of medical necessity.
- Provide injection training and patient teaches as required.
- Participate with community and regional patient advocacy and disease state support groups to educate and communicate the issues and opportunities within the Specialty Pharmacy Provider market.
- Identifies patients at risk for therapy non-compliance due to clinical, financial and other situational barriers, creating a plan of care to address patients’ needs.
- Assists with the review and revision of departmental policies and procedures, as requested.
- Provides managerial responsibilities for the operation of pharmacy in the absence of the pharmacy manager.
- Floats from areas of low workload to areas of heavy workload as needed to provide optional patient services Orients and trains new pharmacy personnel, pharmacy interns, students, pharmacy technicians, and flex staff regarding information on scope of practice, policies, and procedures.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
EducationBachelor's Degree-Pharmacy (Required)
Certification(s) and License(s)Licensed Pharmacist (Pennsylvania) - State of Pennsylvania
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.
Best employer for healthy lifestyles – National Business Group
Access to 121 state parks