Unit Desk Clerk - Medical Surgical Unit (Full time 3pm-11:30pm) Increased Shift Differential
Responsible and accountable for performing a wide range of clerical duties in a patient care environment.
- Participates in required patient safety education programs and other activities designed to improve departmental and organizational safety.
- Assures appropriate bed assignment.
- Ensures timely notification of teletracking upon discharge.
- Performs clerical duties for admissions, transfers, discharges, and deaths according to standards.
- Transcribes and processes orders according to unit standards.
- Releases and confirms ordered tests to appropriate departments.
- Coordinates transportation of patients to multiple tests.
- Communicates patient related information promptly to the appropriate care team member.
- Participates in obtaining and communicating electronic information as pertinent to the nursing unit.
- Communicates with food services to ensure appropriate patient diets.
- Collaborates with other health care teams in order to facilitate multi-disciplinary patient care.
- Obtains and orders supplies.
- Files forms and reports according to standards.
- Maintains an organized patient care environment.
- Operates, problem solves, and takes corrective measures for clerical equipment.
- Assists with transporting non-controlled medications to and from Pharmacy and within the unit as needed.
- Assists with transporting blood products to and from Blood Bank as needed.
- Assists care team in the collection of necessary data or reports.
- Precepts and mentors new staff in a professional, positive manner.
Work is typically performed in an office environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job.
Full time position - 40 hours per week
Every other weekend and holiday in rotation
Good customer service and computer skills needed
May float if needed
EducationHigh School Diploma or Equivalent (GED)- (Required)
SkillsCustomer Service; Communication; Teamwork; Computer Literacy
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.