Social Worker - Emergency Department (BSW or MSW)
The Social Worker works in collaboration with the team and assists in the coordination of care for mental health, behavioral and social needs. Facilitates communication between patients, families, healthcare professionals, community and state agencies and other interdisciplinary team members. Responsible to assist with the implementation of care plan and coordination of behavioral health and social services.
- Functions as a member of a professional team which provides evaluation and treatment for psychiatric patients including but not limited to: psychological assessment, crisis intervention, case management, patient advocacy, care coordination, and community outreach
- Provides input in treatment decisions; presents specific treatment plans for approval.
- Obtains information from patients and other appropriate sources upon which treatment recommendations are initiated, records all information in medical record.
- Involves patient, family and others as appropriate in delivery of care and treatment recommendations.
- Works with patient to determine goals to be achieved during course of treatment.
- Makes arrangements for the safe and expedient transfer of patients as required.
- Acts as a resource of information for Division members, patients, referral sources, etc.
- Assists with provider schedule maintenance.
- Sets up appointments, arranges for follow-up treatment as indicated.
- Strives to support quality patient care, patient satisfaction and to assist in the accomplishment of related goals.
- Assists with insurance verification and authorization procedures.
- Part of interdisciplinary team that ensures the patients progress in the acute episode of care through post discharge and is quality driven while being efficient and cost effective
- Interacts with patients, family members, healthcare professionals, and community and state agencies. Serving as a liaison between the hospital and community agencies or facilities for the exchange of clinical and referral information.
- Identifies high risk patients from a psychosocial/financial perspective, assesses they psychological needs of patients and families and provides information, support, counseling, care management, and referrals to appropriate resources.
- Resolve psychosocial patient care issues and to develop and implement a complex patient transition/discharge plan.
Work is typically performed in a clinical environment. Accountable for satisfying all job specific obligations and complying with all organization policies and procedures. The specific statements in this profile are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements considered necessary to successfully perform the job. Additional competencies and skills outlined in any department-specific orientation will be considered essential to the performance of the job related to that position.
- Hours: Evenings from 2 PM to 10:30 PM
- Weekends: Rotation-based. Approximately every 3rd weekend
- Travel: Limited. May need to travel to Geisinger Wyoming Valley for coverage
Geisinger cares about not only its patients and members but also about you and your family. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package to ensure that you and your loved ones can maintain good health, achieve financial stability, and excel both personally and professionally.
Our benefits package includes:
- Comprehensive health insurance coverage starting on your first day of employment with three medical plan options, including flexible spending account (FSA) and health savings account (HSA) options
- Life insurance, short-term disability, and long-term disability coverage paid for by the company
- A competitive 401(k) plan with automatic Geisinger contributions beginning on your first day of employment
- A generous paid time off (PTO) plan that allows you to accrue time quickly
- Tuition reimbursement up to $5,000/year
- Access to the MyHealth Rewards wellness program, which helps you improve your health and earn incentives
- Support for families, including adoption assistance, paid parental leave, paid military leave, and a free care.com membership with discounted backup care for your loved ones
- We believe in creating a diverse and inclusive environment where all employees can be their authentic selves. That's why we offer several Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), which provide opportunities for you to network and develop professionally. Our ERGs are open to all employees and are formed around common identities.
To learn more about our benefit offerings, please visit: https://www.paperturn-view.com/radancy-geis/135344-geisinger-2023-benefits-general?pid=MzA300191&v=1.1
EducationBachelor's Degree-Social Work (Required)
ExperienceMinimum of 2 years-Related work experience (Preferred)
SkillsBehavioral Therapy Management; Organizing; Working Independently; Social Work; Psychotherapy; Patients Rights; Intake Assessments; Assessment And Diagnosis
Founded more than 100 years ago by Abigail Geisinger, the system now includes ten hospital campuses, a 550,000-member health plan, two research centers and the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine. With nearly 24,000 employees and more than 1,700 employed physicians, Geisinger boosts its hometown economies in Pennsylvania by billions of dollars annually. Learn more at geisinger.org or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Geisinger values who you are, where you are from, and where you are going. We seek out people of various backgrounds and cultures with unique abilities, non-traditional career paths and ambitious aspirations. We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and Minorities are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability or their protected veteran status. Read more about Our Commitment to Inclusive Recruiting.
Our Vision & Values
Everything we do is about making better health easier for our patients, our members, our students, our Geisinger family and our communities.
KINDNESS: We strive to treat everyone as we would hope to be treated ourselves.
EXCELLENCE: We treasure colleagues who humbly strive for excellence.
LEARNING: We share our knowledge with the best and brightest to better prepare the caregivers for tomorrow.
INNOVATION: We constantly seek new and better ways to care for our patients, our members, our community, and the nation.
SAFETY: We provide a safe environment for our patients and members and the Geisinger family.
We offer healthcare benefits for full time and part time positions from day one, including vision, dental and prescription coverage.
A place where you can lead a healthy lifestyle and follow your dreams.
Only at Geisinger.
Best employer for healthy lifestyles – National Business Group
Access to 121 state parks